Undergraduate admissions

​Applying to the EAH Jena
Do you want to apply to one of our undergraduate programmes? The following question will help you to apply correctly.

Do you belong to one of these groups?

a) Applicants from the European Union
b) Applicants from Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway or Swiss
c) Graduates from a German study college 
If yes, then please apply through one of our applicant portals (in German) on the left side ("Bewerbung für Bachelorstudiengänge").

If not, then please apply by using the applicant portal of our partners at uni-assist e. V.
The Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences (EAH Jena) is an uni-assist-university. Uni-assist e. V. examines for a fee by order of the EAH Jena the application documents from applicants who do not belong to one of the groups mentioned above. You can find further information on fees and payments here.

Admission requirements
Universities entrance requirements
To be admitted to a study course leading to a bachelor degree at the EAH Jena, you need to have a secondary-school (A-levels) leaving certificate / high-school diploma or equivalent university entry qualification. School leaving certificates of foreign countries will be assessed in comparison to the German university entry qualification by appropriate criteria. Depending on your schooling country and school leaving certificate, this may mean that you can be admitted to our university directly or that you need to study for additional years or attend a preparatory course at a study college in Germany first.
Information on admission and the assessment of certificates can be found at the following websites:
  • The web pages of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) explain all important facts and terms related to the admission of international students.
  • INOBIS provides additional information about topics: application, studying, universities and living in Germany.
  • The database anabin (in German) informs you about the assessment of your school leaving certificate with regard to your eligibility for studying at a German university.
Language requirements
The language of instruction is German at the EAH Jena. You have to prove your German language proficiency in order to study at the EAH Jena. The following certificates are accepted (you need to have only one of these):
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz – Zweite Stufe
  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH) 2 oder 3
  • Goethe-Zertifikat C 2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)
  • Assessment test of the study college
  • telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
  • Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF) with minimum 4 point in all sections
Please consider that it takes about 1,200 hours of German classes to reach a level sufficient to pass the exam.
You find further information on the language requirements on the websites of the DAAD. If you have not got one of these certificates yet, you can apply for a conditional admission for a preparatory language course. Therefore we would like to encourage you to apply only if you have reached at least B1 level (Intermediate), around 600 hours of German classes, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

Application deadlines
In Germany, the academic year is divided into two semesters: the summer term (April till September) and the winter term (October to March).
Summer term:
• 1 December till  15 January

Winter term:
• Undergraduate programmes with admission restriction (numerus clausus) =  16 May till 15 July
• Undergraduate programmes without admission restriction = 16 May till 15 August 
Please inquire, in any case, about he actual application deadlines for the study course you intend to take.
Please note that the processing of your application by uni-assist could take 3 to 5 weeks. Your application must be processed and delivered by uni-assist to the EAH Jena by the closing date for applications at the EAH Jena.

Application documents
Documents to be submitted with your application:
  • Officially certified copies and certified translations of all necessary and existing documents in evidence of your university entry qualification (school leaving certificate, proof of academic achievement elsewhere, degree certificate in case of application for a master course).
  • Officially certified copy of the assessment test (university entrance examination) if existing.
  • Officially certified copy of German language command certificate.
  • Work placement certificate or certificate of finished vocational training if existing.
  • Copy of your passport and a passport photograph.
  • For applicants from China and Vietnam: Certificate by the Academic Checking Office (APS) of successful checking of the proofs of academic achievement.
  • For applicants from Mongolia: Certificate of Authenticity by the Checking Office for Mongolian study certificates at the German Embassy in Ulan Bator.
Do not hesitate to contact the Registrar's Office in case of further questions.