Frequently Asked Questions

Many of the information displayed on this site can also be found in our multilingual Guide for International and Prospective Students which you can download, or directly get from the International Office. 

1. Where can I find general information about the courses of study at the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences?

You find detailed information on study programmes, entrance requirements, aptitude tests and application deadlines of the current application period at Study Programmes. Please note that not all study programmes enroll each semester.

2. Which kind of school leaving certificate do I need for application?

To be able to study at the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences, the acquirement of a general qualification for university entrance is always necessary. The valuation of school leaving certificates from other countries happens considering certain criteria in comparison to the German general qualification for university entrance. That means, that depending on the country of origin and the school leaving certificate of the applicant, a direct admission for university can be obtained or additional requirements in the form of years of study or the visit of a study college in Germany are to be shown. The homepage of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) explains all important facts and terms regarding the topic admission to German universities. The information system anabin gives information about the valuation of foreign school leaving certificates with regard to the qualification for university entrance.

3. What does studying at the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences cost?

The Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences does not charge any tuition fees. Once per semester every student has to pay the semester fee which contents different entries and amounts to approximately 200 Euros at the moment. The semester fee can differ from one to the next semester. The semester fee has to be paid out of a German bank account which every student has to open after arriving in Jena.

4. Where can I find all necessary information on how to apply to the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences (requirements, deadlines, forms, etc.)?

There are different ways to apply. It depends on if you apply for full-time studies and if you seek for a German degree (Bachelor, Master), or if you apply as an exchange student for one or two semesters.

Here you find all necessary information for your application:

5. Which proof of my knowledge of the German language do I have to present?

For the admission to Bachelor- and Master degree courses:
International applicants have to prove their German language proficiency in order to study at the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences. The following certificates are accepted (you need to have only one of these):
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz – Zweite Stufe
  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH) 2 oder 3
  • Goethe-Zertifikat C 2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)
  • Assessment test of the study college
  • telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
  • Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF) with minimum 4 point in all sections
Please consider that it takes about 1,200 hours of German classes to reach a level sufficient to pass the exam. You can get enrolled during the time you are doing the language courses if all other requirements are fullfilled.
For the admission to study exchange programmes:
Exchange students, who desire to study in a German taught degree course at the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences, have to certify their German language proficiency of at least B1 level (Intermediate) according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. For the admission to the English taught master degree course Scientific Instrumentation, exchange students have to certify their English language proficiency of B2 level (Upper intermediate) at least.

6. Which study courses require a preliminary training as application condition and how many weeks do I have to prove?

Most technical courses of study at the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences require a preliminary training of 8 till 12 weeks or an occupational training in the field of the aspired study course. Sometimes the applicant has to prove the full length of the preliminary training before the course starts, sometimes the proof can be handed in later (latest till the end of the 3rd semester). Your direct contact persons at the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences are the Work Placement Offices and the ServiceCentre for Student Affairs.

7. Which insurances do I need?

For the duration of your studies at the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences you must have health insurance. Please check in your home country whether the health insurance you have is also valid in Germany or whether it can be extended for Germany. Students from member states of the European Union should bring the form E 109/ E 111/E 128 or the European Health Insurance Card which can be obtained from your insurance company in your home country. Applicants from the rest of the world have the possibility to obtain health insurance in Germany.

8. Do I need a visa for my stay in Germany?

Foreign applicants shall always inform themselves at the representative office of Germany in their home country if a visa is necessary. You must not enter Germany with a tourist visa as you can not change it into a visa for education and training afterwards. With some countries like the EU-states special agreements exist which allow their citizens to enter Germany without a visa. As soon as you have your admission for studying in Germany you can apply for the visa at the Germany Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Immediately following your arrival in Jena you must register at the Citizens' Service and at the  and at the Aliens Department.

9. What does the living  in Jena cost?

Beside the semester fee you have to be able to afford the costs for travelling, the visa, rent, telephone and food. Moreover you have to count on costs for means for work (books and/or computer) and in some cases medication and treatment expenses. 600 € per month are realistic as needed. In some cases, you will also need to convince the German Consulate / Embassy with documentary evidence of your financial viability. Currently, the required amount is about 8040 € for one year. Possibilities of financial support can be found at Financial Aid.

10. Where do I find my study plan?

You get to the search mask at the websites of the Study Organisation. There you fill in your study programme, the semester and the group in which you are enrolled. Via week calendar, you can display your study plan for every single week within the lecture period. That is helpful because not all courses take place in each week, and times and rooms change during the semester. You can also subscribe to the RSS feed or let iCal display the current times. Feel free to contact the Study Organisation if you have doubts regarding the study plan.
11. How I can enrol to a group (set)?
For attending lectures, seminars and labs, you must enrol into a group/set at your department. These groups attend courses together. Each group has its own study plan. The enrolment takes place during the introduction week which takes place one week before the start of the lecture period.
12. Where I can find my examination results?
The examination results can be found in the display outside the Examination Offices. There are four Examination Offices at the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences. Each Examination Office is in charge of a specific department. Please note that examination results can first be shown once the readers have reported the results to the Examination Offices.
13. Who should I contact regarding internship issues?
For all questions regarding your internships, please contact the Work Placement Office of your department.
14. Where do I get my enrolment certifications?
You can print out your enrolment certifications at the terminals which you can find in the entrance area of house 1. You get your login data for the terminals with your enrolment at the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences. Please note that all non-EU citizens have to go to the Foreigner’s Registration Office to extend their residence permit at regular intervals. The Foreigner’s Registration Office demands an enrolment certification with stamp and signature. You can get this specific certification from Mr. Scharlock of the ServiceCentre for Student Affairs (room 01.00.17). If Mr. Scharlock is not available, then please contact Ms. Thieme from the Student Secretariat (room 01.00.10).
15. Where do I find the semester dates?
Semester dates are constantly updated and displayed on the website of the Study Organisation.
16. What is the standard procedure for de-registering at the end of my studies?
You download the de-registration form and check list from the download area of the ServiceCentre for Student Affairs, and submit the completed form to the Student Secretariat (room 01.00.10). For the check list you need signatures from Ms. Schubert of Thoska office (room 01.00.17) and the library. Please unsubscribe your webmail account at the IT department (01.01.12/2). You will first get your degree certificate when you have done the standard procedure for de-registering. In exceptional case ( absence from Jena), the de-registration form and check list can be sent by post to the ServiceCentre for Student Affairs.
17. How I can stay in touch with the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciences after I finished my studies?
Just register at the alumni network with your private email address. You will regularly get mail from the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena / University of Applied Sciencesand invitations to alumni reunions.