International students
Navigation nach oben
International students

SciTec department — Precision – Optics – Materials – Environment

We are pleased that you are interested in studying in department SciTec at the University of Applied Sciences Jena. Here we offer some important information about the department SciTec. Please also check out the informations from the University of Applied Sciences Jena and the student paradise Jena.

Study Programmes

Studying in Jena (Germany)


Citizens from most countries outside the European Union need a Student Visa. Please contact the German Embassy or a German Consulate General in your country for the details and the processing time. You will need various documents and also a financial proof for your entire period of studies in Germany (usually based on expenses of about 700 Euro per month).
For some countries there are also "Study Applicant's Visa", but Tourist Visas may not be modified after arrival in Germany. Ask the German Embassy or Consulate in your country for the regulations before or directly after you send us your application.


There are students halls of residence (dormitories, Wohnanlagen) which are operated by the "Studentenwerk". The Studentenwerk is a non-profit organisation which provides various services to students. You can find information on the dormitories at the Studentenwerk webs. The number of rooms is limited and often does not cover the demand. Foreign students receive a special consideration when the Studentenwerk receives the application for the winter semester before July 31st. Therefore, please apply for a room with the Studentenwerk immediately after you have applied for the course. Do not wait for the acceptance letter to reach you. The application for the room can be cancelled in case you should not get an acceptance. It may, however, be difficult and expensive when you arrive in Jena without having reserved a room. There are of course also private rooms and flats for rent in Jena. However, it would be very difficult to find and rent a private flat from abroad. If you like so, you can of course look for a private flat after you have become familiar with Jena. If you who have booked a room with the Studentenwerk, please do not forget to confirm it as indicated in the message from the Studentenwerk.

Travel to Jena

Students from abroad will usually arrive by airplane at Frankfurt airport. There is a railway connection from Frankfurt Airport to Jena every one to two hours. Travelling time is three to four hours. You will have to change the train, often in Weimar. The price for the ticket is about 65 Euro. You can just contact the ticket office at Frankfurt Airport and buy the train ticket there. A reservation in advance is not required. Information on the train schedule and the prices can be found at Deutsche Bahn. Start station is "Frankfurt(M)Flughafen", destination "Jena". Jena has two stations for long distance trains: "Jena West" and "Jena Paradies". Trains from Frankfurt usually arrive at Jena West. At the railway station you can rent a taxi which brings you to your dormitory. There are also buses, but it may be a bit difficult to use them when you come to Jena for the first time. If you send us your precise arrival data some days in advance, we will try to arrange a student tutor who will pick you up at the railway station.

Health insurance

It is mandatory for a student to take up a German health insurance. The monthly fee is about 80 Euro. A foreign health insurance is not accepted. Therefore, it is sufficient for you to cover the trip to Germany and the first one or two weeks by a health insurance from your country. Our student tutors will help you to register with a German health insurance after your arrival.

German bank account

Payments like semester fee, rental fees etc. can usually be performed only by bank transfer. Therefore you will have to open a bank account in Germany. There are banks which offer accounts free of charge to students. Our student tutors will help you opening a bank account after arrival.

Does the University of Applied Sciences Jena offer grants, positions as a research assistant or other kinds of financial support to students?

We are very sorry, but we do not possess funds for any of these. You may try to contact funding institutions of your country. Some countries provide funds to support studies abroad. There is also a data base for funds from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Usually there is not too much chance to find fundings for studies on the Master's level. Most grants are restricted for PhD or postdoctoral studies only.

Tuition fees

For the time being there are no tuition fees as such. There is a semester fee (administrative fee) of about 160 Euro (please refer to your admission letter for the exact amount). Among other benefits the semester fee fully covers local transportation by bus and trains. The semester fee must be paid before the enrolment. This can be done at a post office in cash when you are in Germany or by money transfer after you have opened an account with a bank in Germany (the student tutors will help you). Please do not bring a cheque drawn by a foreign bank or transfer money from your home country before arriving in Germany.

Costs of living in Germany

The costs of living are of course very much depending on the individual lifestyle. To be on the safe side we recommend to anticipate an amount of 750 Euro per month to cover all expenses (room, meals, health insurance, transport, etc.). The average amount of 750 Euro per month might consist of: Accommodation 260 Euro, medical insurance 80 Euro, food 270 Euro, books and stationary 30 Euro, monthly fraction of the semester fee 30 Euro, miscellaneous expenses 80 Euro.

Special information for Scientific Instrumentation students

Knowledge in German language

All compulsory modules of the course are fully taught in English language. Included in the Master course are introductory modules "German as a foreign language". Of course, it helps a lot in daily life if you have already acquired some knowledge in German language before you come to Germany.

When does the course start?

The course starts once a year with the winter semester (first Monday in October). During the first week of October enrolment and other administrative tasks will be taken care of. Important dates will be mentioned on the admission letter.


Need more Informations? Just contact the International Office from the University of Applied Sciences Jena.
International students
© Copyright 2010 SiteName