Welcome New Students!
We are happy you have found your way here, and we are looking forward to meeting you!
1. First off all, please complete the following checklist, which has already been linked in the automatic reply triggered by the confirmation of admission.
2. In case you want to apply for a bank loan, please use the following expenditure list .
3. After you have completed the checklist, you might plan your trip to Jena. The following points will help you to plan your trip accordingly.
Getting to Jena
Most international flights arrive at Frankfurt Airport (FRA). Travelling from Frankfurt to Jena by train takes slightly more than 3 hours. The train starts at Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbahnhof. The Fernbahnhof is situated opposite to Terminal 1. You might have to change trains in Erfurt or Weimar, both cities close to Jena. If travelling from Fankfurt, please always choose the connection "Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf - Jena West". If travelling from Berlin (Tegel or Schoenefeld Airport), please choose "Jena Paradies" as your destination. To plan your journey, you can use the link below. It may be a good idea to print out a travel itinerary as it may be helpful when buying a train ticket over the counter. If you have any doubts, please do not hesitate to contact your tutor.
An introduction period is planned for the time from Wednesday, 9th October, 2019 to Friday, 11th October, 2019. During this time you will receive assistance regarding:
- Opening a bank account/Accessing your blocked account
- Registering with a German health insurance company or obtaining a statement of the exemption of the health fund (membership in a German health insurance or an exemption thereof is necessary for students to enrol in a German university).
9th October, 2019 : Introduction Meeting
The meeting will take place in building 4, in room 04.-1.01 at 1 pm.
The head of the course Prof. Ploss will give a short welcome address and you will have opportunity to ask questions.
Our campus (click for larger version):
It may also be a good idea to look for directions to our university on Google Maps.
10th and 11th October, 2019 (presumably): Bank Account, Transfer of Semester Fees, Registration with a German Health Fund, Enrolment Session
Student tutors will assist you with opening a bank account or finding a local branch of your bank, if you have organised a blocked account. The semester fees should be transferred right away. Directly get a receipt of this transfer, as this will be required to complete the enrolment.
Registration with a German Health Insurance company or obtaining an excemption from registration is mandatory. There are several compulsory health insurances, which have the same fees and offer virtually the same services.
We have arranged for a representative of a health insurance to come to our university and offer membership applications. This gives you opportunity to register easily. However, you are perfectly welcome to register with the health insurance company you choose.